11.22.2006

Bikes on the roof!!!

I have a roof rack on my car for our bikes. Gordon and I spent several hours last summer installing it. At the old apartment we only had a single car garage, and Gordon got dibs on the indoor parking (he has a nicer car than mine). In March when we moved into the house we suddenly found ourselves with a double car garage, so I finally got to park inside. You probably see where this story is going...

Since we moved into the house, every time we load our bikes onto the roof and go out for a ride, whenever we return home we will call out "bikes on the roof", "bikes on the roof" to remind ourselves to not drive directly into the garage without first unloading the bikes.

All was well and good, i.e. we remembered without fail, until well, tonight. Tonight we failed. Upon our return from a good 1.25hr jaunt on the Veloway, I promptly drove our bikes directly into the garage. Crash, crunch, what the f*!k, oh shit, bikes on the roof!!!

The roof rack managed to slide half off. Fortunately it only took off the right bar end shifter on both of our bikes (still, it will cost about $100 each to fix our bikes!). The roof of my car is a little dented and scratched. F*!k.

My car looks weird without a roof rack.

Oh, the best part? Gordon's fancy new, expensive, tri bike was on the roof. I managed to crash his bike before he did.

Oh, and the funny part? On the way home from the Veloway I was commenting that my car doesn't have a cracked windscreen (like Gordon's) and no dent in the bonnet (like Gordon's, after his extremely lucky encounter with a deer on Sunday night - by lucky I mean it could have been a lot worse). I tell you, karma is a bitch.

So everything happens in 3's:
- Gordon fell while running a few weeks ago, he hit a deer on Sunday, now his bike needs fixing.
- I've ripped up two rear tyres on my bike the past couple of rides, and then I crashed my car into the garage. Hmmm, I think Gordon's "3" is a whole lot worse than mine. I should stop complaining!

What a way to start our Thanksgiving holiday!

5 comments:

MW said...

Ouch.
I'm sorry to hear it.

I've seen several people drive straight onto concrete garage parking lots and tear off their bikes. At least it sounds like the damage was limited.

Maybe you should be grounded and not be allowed to park in the garage anymore?! ; )

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. At least you have a great attitude about it. At least you're getting all the bad stuff out of the way early in your training.

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that! We now put a table in the middle of the garage so that I will remember the bike.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's rotten. I will never get a roof rack for that very reason. I would run into the garage for sure, because my brain is always consumed with something after a long ride...lunch, shower, nap, you name it. I'm sorry for your misfortune, but I'm thankful for the link to your blog and Gordon's. I don't blog myself, but I love reading the ones my friends write. You are both talented writers, and Gordon's pictures are fantastic. Now I have lots of questions to ask both of you during all of those long hours we'll be training together between now and April 15th. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, and I'll see you at practice!

Liz (T3)

Lulu said...

Another reason I am not upset that my husband's boat makes it impossible for me to park in the garage. Although I almost had a run in with a pole at starbucks when I first got my rack.