12.04.2006

IM Arizona Week 5: Getting a grip

5 weeks down. 19 weeks to go. Crikey!

This week posed some new challenges. It started out well on Monday with a good run along South Beach in Miami. Then we caught a plane home to Austin later that day. Tuesday I was feeling pretty tired so I skipped a swim session thinking I could make it up later in the week (mistake #1). Wednesday I decided to join the T3 track workout and did some of the fastest running I've ever done on the track (mistake #2). Thursday morning I woke up to very tight/sore quads and calf muscles, Arctic weather and lashing rain, so decided to skip swim practice thinking it was probably cancelled (it wasn't). Thursday evening I showed up to the trainer workout without my cycling shoes and had to race back home to get them, which cut short my bike workout (mistake #3). Friday morning I was so tired from the track workout and trainer workout that I took the day off from working out and instead got to run around getting quotes to fix my bike and car, but then I did some Christmas shopping so that cheered me up, as did the bottle of white wine that Gordon and I polished off that evening (mistake #4). Saturday morning I started the ride with my brakes rubbing on my rear wheel so that it was really hard to pedal until I figured out what was wrong (took about 3 miles, mistake #5). Then I proceeded to not take in enough food and bonked halfway through the ride (mistake #6). Thanks to Gordon who let me ride on his wheel for the second half of the ride back from San Marcos!

What I learned:
Mistake #1: Skipping workouts early in the week makes it nearly impossible to make up the required hours of training.
Mistake #2: Perhaps I need to take it just a wee bit easier on some of the run workouts. It was fun running fast, but I paid for it.
Mistake #3: Calm down. Breathe. Stop rushing around. Then I guarantee that I won't forget things.
Mistake #4: Drinking and training does not work for me. If I'm going to have some wine I have to limit it to one glass, even better, none. Especially the night leading up to a full-on training weekend.
Mistake #5: Check over bike before riding on the road, EVERY ride! I normally check my brakes, but I should also check that the wheels are spinning freely. That would have saved a lot of pain those first few miles.
Mistake #6: Eat more on the bike. For some reason I thought I only needed one Clif Bar and a bottle of Sustained Energy for 4 hours of riding. 600 calories is obviously not enough to sustain this type of effort, even if I had third helpings of Gordon's delicious risotto the night before.

Okay, enough about the mistakes. I was a little bothered because I know better than to make these mistakes (just like I know better than to drive the car into the garage with bikes on the roof!). But I guess we all need a refresher sometimes, last week was mine.

The positives from last week:
#1 When I forgot my bike shoes I didn't just turn around and quit the workout.
#2 I ran really fast (for me) on the track. Maybe this body does have some speed in it!
#3 I made all of the workouts over the weekend, including the long run Sunday lunchtime. It hurt, but I did it.

Goal hours: 13.5
Actual hours: 9.75

Bike: 5hrs / 85 miles
Run: 3.5hrs / 20.75 miles
Swim: 1.25hrs / 2700 yards

This week the plan is 15.5 hours. It's going to be tough, but I really want to make it!

1 comment:

Lulu said...

As long as you learn from them, making mistakes is not a bad thing :)