3.11.2007

IMAZ Week 19: Icing the hell out of it

19 weeks down, 5 weeks to go. 2 weeks until taper starts!

Normally this would excite me, but today it worries me. This week has been a tough week for training. I felt good earlier in the week, my massage on Tuesday wasn't nearly as painful, and I ran sub-6min pace on the track Wednesday morning (5:55 pace to be exact!). It was one of those cool, crisp mornings on the track and I felt great. But, after my muscles got a chance to stiffen up, my right shin was really bothering me. Enough that it hurt to walk. So I iced as much as I could for the next couple of days (2-3 times per day). I decided to skip the Thursday morning swim workout to let my shin rest, but I still went to the group trainer ride Thursday night. By Friday morning it was feeling better, but I must have slept funny because I woke up with a crick in my right neck! So instead of swimming Friday morning at Deep Eddy I took it easy so that I wouldn't make my neck worse. Thought about swimming after work Friday, but my neck was still sore and after a long week at work I didn't really feel like swimming on my Friday evening! So Gordon and I went to Maudie's for a margarita and some Mexican food.

Saturday we did the Spokes 'n Spurs ride and it was great. Beautiful weather, great course and great people. I definitely pushed the ride a little harder than I normally do and the hills were definitely wearing me out by the end. I ended up averaging 17.3mph which is pretty good for me for 90 miles especially considering that they were hilly 90 miles!

My goal for the long run Sunday was to take the pace a bit easier. My last few long runs I have been pushing the pace pretty hard and given my right shin issues I wanted to keep the pace easier so that I could actually get through the 18 miles. I felt fantastic for the first 11 miles, chatting to Gordon, Liz and Jim. The pace was easy, I didn't feel fatigued and my right shin wasn't getting any worse. I could feel a bit of soreness but it didn't get worse so I thought that was a good sign. From about mile 9 onwards I started feeling sore in my left shin but I was still able to run through it. But by the time I got to mile 13.5 it was hurting so much that I just had to stop and walk. Walking was really hurting too. I let the rest of the group run off and finish their 18 miles while I shortened the loop and walked for 2.5 more miles to make a total of 15 miles. It was a horrible walk. I was walking on the busiest part of the trail with all the recreational joggers, who ran past me, all shapes and sizes, and all I could do was walk. I couldn't look at anybody. I just stuck my head down and kept walking and hurting, thinking if this happens in the Ironman it's going to be a hell of a long walk to the finish line. My worst run ever. Oh, and I don't think it helped that I mixed up my shoes this morning - newer shoe (<100mi) on my left foot, old shoe on my right foot (300ish miles). Not good!

So after breakfast we came home and I have been icing the hell out of my left and right shins, and resting up on the couch. I hurt every time I get up and walk. This is NOT how I want to be feeling 5 weeks out from my Ironman! But, I guess the fact is that I am 5 weeks out from IMAZ so I have time to get this thing under control as long as I don't do anything stupid. So, my aim for next week is to not do anything stupid, like 5:55 pace on the track!

Mon - OFF
Tue - T3 Swim (1.25h)
Wed - T3 Track Workout (1h)
Thu - T3 Trainer Ride (1.25h)
Fri - OFF
Sat - Long Ride (88mi/5.25h)
Sun - Long Run (15mi/3h)

Weekly Totals:

Cycling: 6.5h / 113mi (Goal: 6.5h)
Running: 4h / 21mi (Goal:5h)
Swimming: 1.25h / 3400m (Goal: 2.5h)

No comments: