1.29.2007

Ironman Arizona Week 13: Checking the ego

13 weeks down, 11 weeks to go.

This past week was another good, solid training week. I made it out to the track on Wednesday night, for the first time in several weeks. It was good to do some fast running, although my quads and hip flexors paid for the next couple of days! I also managed to make it to swim practice twice, just need to start adding an open water swim at Barton Springs (that's the plan this week). I felt really strong on my Thursday night swim and did a solid 400m in 6:42 (1:40 pace) at the end of a 3000m practice and felt fantastic. Finally got to ride outside again after spending the past couple of weeks indoor on my trainer. We rode 73mi on the Rosedale route which is a quiet, scenic, flat, windy route and is perfect training ground for Arizona. I think we're headed back out there this weekend for a 90mi ride. Fingers crossed we'll have another nice day and that the arctic blast they're predicting fizzles out!

The training week ended with a 22mi run on Sunday which involved getting up at 4am, running a 9mi warm-up to the start line of the 3M race, and then running the 3M! I couldn't have done it without the rest of the T3'ers out there and our wonderful coaches. Thanks guys! I felt really good for most of the 22mi, apart from miles 18-19 when I started having some stomach problems. I really thought I was going to be walking the remainder of the course until a quick stop at the port-a-loo made me feel like a new woman! I felt fantastic those last 3.1 miles and just got faster and faster right up until I crossed the finish line (my last mile was a 7:55). I finished in 1:56:46 and PR'd by about 40s. Not bad considering I actually ran 22mi that day! It was mentally a little tough to be running with people who were "only" running the half marathon. I had to check my ego and keep running at my own pace... which in itself is good Ironman training because I know that come IMAZ I am going to be passed, a lot, on the bike but my plan is to stay with my pace and catch a lot of those people back on the run :)

Goal hours: 15.5

Actual hours: 14.1

Bike: 6.25hrs / 113 miles (Goal 6.5hrs)

Run: 5.1hrs / 32.5 miles (Goal 6hrs)

Swim: 2.5hrs / 6100m (Goal 2.5hrs)

Core: 0.25hrs (Goal 0.5hrs)

4 comments:

MW said...

You looked really really good when you crossed the finishline.
I told everyone around me that was 20+ miles for you. They were all very impressed with how good you looked!

Amanda said...

Thanks Mike! It was good to see and hear you cheering me on at the finish line :)

Erin said...

i cheered for you too... one of these days we will actually meet!

awesome week!!

Amanda said...

Thanks for cheering for me Erin!

I look forward to meeting you one of these days :)