2.02.2007

SXSW

Okay, so the South by Southwest (SXSW) music festival doesn't start until March 14th, but while reading the Melbourne newspaper "The Age" on-line this morning I came across an article about Aussie bands showcasing at South by Southwest in little old Austin, Texas! Now, I always get excited when I see articles about Austin in Australian newspapers (doesn't happen very often) or articles about Adelaide in US publications, like in one of National Geographic Traveller's recent issues!

Anyway, the article in The Age mentioned Powderfinger floundering at the SXSW back in 2002. They played an outdoor gig in a carpark across from Stubb's, along with John Butler Trio. I was there!!! It was invite only, but after a lot of convincing (done by Gordon, I'm terrible at that sort of thing) they finally let us in to watch. It was so cool to see one of my favourite bands (PF) right up close. Unfortunately most people there were more interested in the free beer and food at the back of the tent. Which is probably why the article refers to them "floundering" when they really are an awesome band, probably just didn't market themselves very well on the trip.

Apparently the Aussie BBQ in Austin has become a regular feature of SXSW, this year it's on Friday March 17th and it looks like the Living End might be playing!!! But it says invite only... I definitely need to figure out how to get myself an invitation!!! I'm thinking I need to pimp out my husband's photography services, maybe he has some way of getting a photo press badge??? I just wrote an email to the AMC (Aussie Music Collective) to find out how to get an invitation - if they need photographers, if they need help setting up on the day, etc. I hope this works out!

No comments: