3.25.2007

IMAZ Week 21: It's taper time!

21 weeks down, 3 weeks to go. Taper has officially started!

The last couple of weeks of training have been hard. I developed an injury. I had to get treatment, eliminate the running, try and stay positive, and feel sore every day. But so what? It's just an injury. The pain I have been feeling is nothing compared to what millions of other people face on a daily basis. I'm training for an Ironman. I'm one hell of a lucky person to be able to find the time and be physically able to train for something like this. In short, I've had a pretty selfish couple of weeks and I have now decided to suck it up and stop my complaining. So, officially my taper has started, and my whining has ended!!!

This week was good. I'm starting to see improvement in my shin. I was told to start running again, and I did, three times in fact. Two 30 minute runs (8min running, 1min walking) to start stressing and strengthening the tissue again, and one 41:30 minute run on Saturday during our brick.

I swam in Barton Springs twice this week - one 3.2km swim, one 2km swim. I'm starting to feel more comfortable in my wetsuit again and the speed is starting to come back as I get more used to the wetsuit and how that changes my stroke. I love Barton Springs. Especially Friday afternoon after work, what a great way to end the week!

Saturday we did a practice triathlon. Swam 1.8km, then biked 40mi, followed by a 4.5mi run. (The rest of the group did a 13.5mi run after the bike, not everyone did the swim though). I was just stoked to be able to run for 4.5mi! I could still feel pain while I was running, but it's different now. I can feel it starting to get stronger and healthier again. It was fun finishing the brick early and cheering the rest of the group on, seeing them finish strongly.

It was a great training week. I'm doing an Ironman in 3 weeks. Life is good!!!

Mon - OFF (PT)
Tue - Elliptical Trainer (0.25h) + Run (0.5h) + Core/Stretch (0.25h)
Wed - Barton Springs Swim (1.25h), PT
Thu - Run (0.5h), T3 Trainer Ride (1.25h)
Fri - Barton Springs Swim (0.75h)
Sat - T3 Swim (0.75hh), Bike (42mi), Run (4.5mi)
Sun - Recovery Ride (1.25h)

Weekly Totals:

Cycling: 4.75h / 85mi (Goal: 5.5h)
Running: 2h / 12.5mi (Goal:3h)
Swimming: 2.75h / 7000m (Goal: 2.5h)

2 comments:

MW said...

I can't believe it's just 3 more weeks!!
: )

Erin said...

You have a great perspective on training, and more importantly - life.

Glad you are feeling better, what a relief.

I am very excited for you! (I feel like I've been psuedo training just reading all of your updates.)